Top tips for stress free family packing and travel
Family holidays… whilst there’s nothing like heading away with your gorgeous family to soak up some sunshine and escape the every day, we’ve all experienced complete packing chaos trying to get sorted and out the door in time for our flight.
Whilst I had Lapoche (smart packing products) before I had my kids, my love for it grew even stronger the first time my husband and I holidayed with our two little beauties in tow. We all know travelling with kids means travelling with at least four times as much luggage! And that in our haste to get out the door, that often results in everything getting thrown into the suitcase altogether, making it a nightmare to organise at the destination. As a result, we spend our whole holiday with a messy unsorted suitcase next to our bed. Is this sounding familiar?
I’ve included below some of my top tips for stress free family packing and travel which I hope will help you as much as they’ve helped me.
1. Pre-planning Once you’ve locked in your trip, every time you think of something you’ll need to take, pop it on a list on your phone so it can’t be forgotten. You’ll avoid that sinking feeling on the way to the airport that you’ve left something behind.
If there’s anything you need to buy for your trip such as new bathers for the kids, try shopping online and have it delivered in time to pack.
2. Packing FACT - It’s standard for us all to pack at least double the amount of clothes to what we actually wear on a trip. So save yourself the back strain and excess baggage fees and think about what you really need!
How many days/nights are you going for?
Do you have any specific occasions you’ll need outfits for?
Just pack enough of yours and your family’s favourites to last the trip. And remember, there’s always the hotel laundry if you run short.
Also (although it's easier said than done), aim to have all your packing done the day before you travel. That way you’ll have time to reflect and if something has slipped your mind you’ll have time to add it in.
When packing for a family, lay all clothing out on the bed in piles for each family member so you can see it all in one space. Think logically about what pieces will be worn together and pack accordingly into Lapoche’s pieces such as our garment cubes, luggage organisers and shoe bags.
Utilise Lapoche’s clever colour coding mechanism; place each family member’s clothing in different coloured pieces, so that when you arrive at your destination, you can simply pick up their colour of Lapoche and pop it into the relevant hotel room/drawer.
Pop your toiletries in one toiletry bag and your kids’ in another. Hang our water-resistant laundry bag in the hotel cupboard or bathroom and pop in any dirty clothes to avoid mixing them with the clean for the journey home.
Secure all your travel docs into Kinnon’s Bird travel wallet and you’re off and away.
3. For the plane You’ve made it! To the airport that is. Now you’re wondering how you’re going to keep the kids entertained (and your in- flight neighbours happy) for the hours in the air that lie ahead. Whilst most airlines have in house entertainment with dedicated kids channels, the trusty iPad or phone pre-loaded with their favourite shows is still a good way to go. Other essentials I’ve discovered through my travels, depending on the age of your kids include:
- Magnetic play books: these allow kids to play without any parts going missing. Sticker books do a similar job, but once they’re all stuck, it’s game over.
- Water colouring books: a refillable water filled pen that allows kids to draw pictures onto the colouring book without any mess. It’s reusable too, so as soon as the water has dried, they can colour in the same page again.
- Snacks, snacks, snacks: stock up on your little ones’ favourite nibbles and dish out as required. Throw in something chewy for take off and landing to help with their ears.
- Flight pouch: Have a smaller item such as Lapoche’s large watertight flight pouch in your carry-on with nappies, wipes and cream that you can pull out quickly for an emergency change situation
- Sleepwear: If you’re travelling at night, board your kids in their PJs and bring as many of their home creature comforts for sleeping as you can. The more familiar it is, the more they’re likely to drift off.. and so can you.
4. Upon arrival A friend gave me a tip that has fast become my number one must do when holidaying in an apartment - do your food shopping online before you leave so it is there on or just after arrival. This allows you to arrive, have food ready to go for the kids and avoid spending part of your first day writing a shopping list and heading to the local supermarket, allowing more time spent with your precious ones.
This little tip, combined with having your suitcase packed with Lapoche will save you countless hours on your first day of holiday mode, which would be far better spent poolside with a cocktail in hand. Holiday bliss!
If you’re not sure what Lapoche pieces are right for your family, get in touch – we’d love to help. Be sure to stay up to date with #Lapochetravels on Instagram @lapochetravel and tag us on your travels across the globe.
Keep an eye out for Lapoche’s interactive packing list, soon to launch at lapoche.com. It’s a categorised list with absolutely everything you could possibly need to pack. Click on the items relevant to you, and your very own personalised list will be created which you can email or print. Genius!
ABOUT KINNON AND LAPOCHE
Kinnon’s range includes leather compendiums, carryalls and laptop bags, travel wallets, overnight bags and our newest arrival, our Annie baby bag, all with attention to the little details to make them extra special.
Lapoche’s range includes everything you need pack smarter, from outfit organisers, garment cubes, lingerie totes and jewellery cases. The range separates and organises your luggage without adding extra bulk and weight to your travel goods.
Biz owner: Beth Richards
Favourite café: Combi, Elwood
Coffee order: Skinny latte
Join the hood to receive the HOOD MAMA SPECIAL.
Are you a Melbourne mover & shaker? Does your biz make mother's lives easier, better and brighter? We'd love to showcase your dreams and help Melbourne mums on their quest to shop small and support locals. Have a look at our Celebrate Melbourne page for more info.